Rehabilitation plays a crucial role in your recovery from any injury, illness, surgery, or disease that affects your musculoskeletal system. An individualized rehabilitation program at MultiCare Medical Group helps relieve pain, promote healing, and restores strength, motion, and balance. If you have any questions about rehabilitation, please call their office in Papillion, Nebraska, or schedule an appointment online for a rehab assessment.
What is rehabilitation?
Rehabilitation restores skills, strength, and function that have been lost due to an injury, illness, surgery, or progressive disease like arthritis. There are many different types of rehabilitation, such as:
- Musculoskeletal rehabilitation for recovery from disease, disorders, or injury to muscles and bones
- Cardiac rehabilitation to support recovery following a heart attack
- Stroke rehabilitation to relearn functional skills after a stroke
- Pulmonary rehabilitation to restore lung function in people with chronic obstructive lung disease
What types of conditions benefit from musculoskeletal rehabilitation?
A well-structured rehabilitation program can promote quicker recovery and return optimal strength and function to damaged muscles and bones. Chiropractic care is such a vital part of musculoskeletal rehabilitation that it’s routinely offered to American veterans.
This is only a partial list of the many health conditions that benefit from rehabilitation:
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury
- Repetitive stress injuries including tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tendon tears such as Achilles tendon and rotator cuff injuries
- Trauma injuries, including sprains, strains, and fractures
- Joint injury and dislocation
- Lower back pain
- Degenerative disease, such as osteoarthritis
- Cervical radiculopathy and stenosis
- Plantar fasciitis
What therapies may be used during rehabilitation?
The team at MultiCare Medical Group rehabilitates the injured area while evaluating and incorporating therapy that may be needed for adjacent joints and muscles. Paying attention to the mechanics of your whole body is important because an injury in one area places stress on other muscles used to compensate for the injury.
Everyone on the team has extensive experience in many different therapeutic techniques, so they recommend treatment tailored to your unique rehabilitation needs. Your rehabilitation plan may include one or more chiropractic techniques, manual therapies such as myofascial release and massage, extension exercises, and a structured exercise program.
Each type of therapy is implemented with the goal of relieving pain, eliminating pressure on nerves, releasing adhesions, increasing range of motion, and improving strength, endurance, flexibility, and coordination. The team also focuses on:
- Preventing re-injury
- Restoring balance to muscle use patterns
- Getting athletes back into the game with a modified training program
- Ergonomic and posture assessments to alleviate repetitive use injuries
- Gait retraining
- Stress management
- Nutritional counseling to facilitate healing